everything is possible... the impossible just takes a little longer

slow and steady wins the race

Saturday, July 5, 2008

update on Sam...

Well today is day 9 of Sam refusing to put weight on his left leg. We are all stumped. Over the past week he has had x-rays of his foot, ankle, knee and hip (still waiting to hear back about the hip and knee) but so far everything looks fine... no fractures, no cracks and soft tissue appears to be intact. He is not in any pain but he will not put his foot down. There is no swelling or any other indication of a problem. Sam does not have the cognitive ability to "fake it" or to really keep this act up for such a long time... something is definitely not right but so far we have no clue what the problem could be. The pediatrician's most recent thought is that it could be a problem with his hip.... I hope to hear back from her soon after she get the reports back on all the x-rays. Our next step is to see a specialist and possibly an MRI... because everyone agrees that something is wrong, it is Sam so that something could be anything and because everyone is stumped. In the mean time Sam is still walking on his knees and crawling just fine... he just won't stand or weight bear on that left foot. Otherwise he is just as happy and naughty as always. 

Sam is wearing the T-shirt that he tie dyed at school for their 4th of July celebration and parade.  I think he is quite proud of it and says Noooooooo when I try to take it off.  He can wear it all he wants as far as I am concerned :)

*** on another note***
Sam's surgery is scheduled for August 21st.  He will have 3 procedures done... if he has to go under anesthesia we try to get as much done as possible at one time.  So he will have his ear tubes replaced and ears cleaned (he has gunk behind the ear drum)... then he will have his hydrocele reparied...AGAIN!  Yes it is very rare to have a hydrocele (extra fluid around the testicle) re-occur after it has been surgically repaired but well that is Sam for you...and then to finish things up the dentist is coming in and pulling a bunch of teeth, capping his molars (because he grinds) and doing a really good cleaning.  The whole thing should take about 2 hours and 15 minutes and then once he is awake we can take him home.  


Bethany said...

Well that is strange! Are they doing bloodwork?

rae said...

I have already asked the BIG question and the ped gave him a good once over (she has a child with Ds who had transient leukemia so she is extra careful in these issues) and she thinks that there would be something else going on if it were leukemia... ie behavior change, fever, ongoing illness blah blah blah. An he is having surgery in a few weeks and we plan on doing a full blood panel then anyway, however if this last set of x-rays is negative I think they want to do an MRI and I will have them do bloodwork then while he is sedated (since he is such a hard stick and will have much better luck while he is still). I will update when I know more.

Heather said...

I have been missing my Illinois Fix. Especially my boyfriend and his darling face. He looks so darn big Rae.Hope the tests yield some answers. I know Sam and Zoey both subscribe to the,small percentage,never happened before,we're stumped,keep us on our toes,way of thriving and growing!I agree with your Ped. though,(as if I know anything really!) But unfortunately/fortunately I do know a thing or two about the blood "thing".I'm sure he's fine. Hopefully his lack of weight bearing will pass as suddenly as it appeared.Think of you often.

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

I was going to ask about bloodwork too, praying that it's something simple! Keep us posted!

Mike Burrill said...

God bless him, Rae

Anonymous said...

CBC.... even if he doesn't have accompanying symptoms. We have been through this twice with Elainah and neither time figured out why.

I hope you get answers soon.

I'm so glad to see your blogging.

This is Rebecca Miss E's mama.

rae said...

Hey Rebecca... so nice to hear from you and Miss E. After many annoying phone calls to check for cancelations... I got Sam's appointment moved from the 23rd to today!!! I am requesting a CBC. He is having surgery in a few weeks and a whole blood work up then but I really don't want to wait until then now... this is so weird. Otherwise he is happy and naughty and appears just fine. I should know more today.