everything is possible... the impossible just takes a little longer

slow and steady wins the race

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Other yummy things I might feed you if you came by my house for dinner

You may have noticed that I have been in a domestic mood lately.  Don't worry... my house is still a mess but it smells really good from all the baking.  A girl has to prioritize!

**SPOILER ALERT... legume haters... just stop reading now... nothing beyond this point will be of any interest to you.

So on the menu for tonight was Apple Bean Bake, pork chops and corn bread.  Now I will admit that is is not one of the boys favorites (I don't know... something about beans and gagging and how if Aunt Tammy doesn't have to eat beans...LOL) ... but seriously, I did catch Sean up on the table licking Pat's plate while we were cleaning up the dishes.  Sometimes I wonder about that boy.

So in keeping with my simple and easy theme... this dinner ranks 2 on the difficulty scale (10 being difficult and something I would probably never attempt anyway) and an 11 on the yummy scale.

Apple Bean Bake (please keep in mind that I usually double this recipe)
48oz jar Randall's Great Northern Beans... drained
4 tbs butter
3 cups tart cooking apples (peeled/cut)... I have one of those apple peeler/corer things and that works great.  It slices the apples very thin and then I cut them into bite size pieces. and I tend to be pretty generous with the apples too.
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tsp cinnamon (or nutmeg... or both)
salt to taste (it does not need the salt in my opinion)
melt butter in a large skillet.  add apples and cook for about 10 minutes until apples are tender.  stir in everything else.  brown sugar should be dissolved and everything well mixed.  put drained beans in a 2 quart casserole baker and pour apple mixture over the beans and mix well.  bake in pre-heated oven at 375 for 1 hour.

My cornbread of choice is the .46 cent box of Jiffy cornbread mix in the little blue and white box.  I use 2 boxes and make johnny cake.  The pork chops can be grilled or baked or fixed however you like.  

I love this apple bean bake recipe even better the next day.  That is the reason I usually double the recipe to ensure there are lots of left overs :)

No comments: