everything is possible... the impossible just takes a little longer

slow and steady wins the race

Monday, October 4, 2010

there's a chill in the air...

ahhh it is that time of year again... the geese start gathering in impressive numbers in the pond behind our house, the spiders are spinning webs like crazy all over the deck (note to self... avoid the deck), my allergies are horrendous and I don't have to argue much with the boys to put on a light jacket before they head out to the bus.  

This also marks the beginning of my baking season.  Believe me, Martha Steward does not quake one little bit in her shoes when I fire up my oven but I will say that my neighbors appreciate my efforts.  I will let you in a on a little secret... do enjoy devouring home baked goods as much as the next girl but even more I enjoy a warm toasty house and the amazing smell that you can only get from backing goodies in the oven.  I will admit that because my husband likes to keep the thermostat at 68 degrees (a bit too chilly for me) I bake to sustain the level of warmth in my house that I desire.  So although he might complain if he sees that I jacked the temp up and somehow he will manage to slip into nearly every conversation that he just cannot understand why the heating bill was sooooo high this month... he NEVER complains when he comes home to a new freshly baked delight.  So this girl just knows how to play the game and in the end everyone is happy!  Com'on... bakers KNEED love too!!! 

The 2 loaves of banana bread that I made yesterday were devoured in record time... the Oatmeal Cranberry white chocolate cookies... well it is as if they never existed.  So thinking a little bit ahead I started pulling out the recipes for some of my holiday favorites.  Now although I think it is entirely too early to whip up a batch (or 2 or 3) of these gems but I thought I would share the recipe with you all the same.  These are one of my all time favorite Christmas cookies and therefor I refuse to make them until after Thanksgiving.  

So here goes... My Mitten Cookies (mittens because I use a mitten cookie cutter but you can make them any shape you want) BTW this is seriously the simplest recipe ever!!! enjoy.

Mitten Cookies
Cream together:
1 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar

Beat in:
1 egg

Add:
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour

Mix together until ingredients are well blended, Chill dough 3-4 hours before rolling.  Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.  Roll out and cut.  Bake 8-10 minutes or until barely colored.  Cookies can be frosted and decorated with sprinkles, edible glitters, colored sugars or just eaten plain.

Frosting:  
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
1 TB butter
1 TB milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp lemon juice
a few drops of food coloring of your choice

melt butter and combine all ingredients... beat until smooth.  frost cookies when they are cool.

No comments: