everything is possible... the impossible just takes a little longer

slow and steady wins the race

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

It's the Great Pumpkin (puree that is)

Pumpkins, pumpkins everywhere!  

So we started out the morning with Pumpkin French toast... devoured!  Bacon was a side note but nearly ignored in the shadow of Pumpkin French toast with warm homemade liquid gold (maple syrup).  Now this is another ridiculously simple recipe that has lots of bang for the buck.  

Yummy Pumpkin French Toast
beat together:
6 eggs
1/4 cup pumpkin puree... ok to use a bit more if desired (right from the can)
1 TBS vanilla
1 tsp nutmeg (or cinnamon, cloves or pumpkin pie spice)

* note... no milk is used in this recipe... crazy I know!

Dip bread into mixture and place onto skillet/pan.  Brown both sides and serve! 

Then since I already had an opened can of pumpkin puree... I just had to do something with it... and cheers for Pumpkin Bread erupted from the crowd!!!

This is another yummy recipe that my kids devour.  And note that I substitute applesauce for the oil which gives it a great flavor and significantly cuts down on the fat.  And as always, I am pretty positive that there is a right way and a wrong way to add ingredients.  I am almost certain that there are some things that are supposed to be mixed together in a separate container and then added slowly with care.  Well, that is not how I roll!  I am here to tell you that I just dump it all in a bowl in no particular order, turn my mixer on high and in the end it all turns out great!  

Yummy Pumpkin Bread
mix together:
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup applesauce
3 eggs
2 cups pumpkin puree (from the can)
1 TSP vanilla
(optional... 1 cup chopped pecans)... note that I NEVER add the nuts but have been known to add craisins or raisins or nothing at all

Lightly spray 2 loaf pans with non-stick spray then dust the pans with sugar (yes use sugar... not flour!  The bread will come out easily and make a sweet crust).  Split batter between the two pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 60-75 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean (or knife or fork or whatever you poke it with to determine doneness).  Cool completely before removing bread from pans.  Enjoy!

No comments: